Did you know your pool pump could be costing you an extra $561 each year?
The upfront cost of a swimming pool pump represents just 20% of the total cost of an average pump. Ongoing electricity costs making up the other 80%. These costs never go away! Your pool pump can be the largest user of electricity in your home, increasing your electric bill by up to $1,800 each year. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, switching to a variable-speed pool pump can reduce pool pump energy use by 50% to 75%. For a relatively small upfront investment, you can save an average of $561 of that added electricity cost every year. That adds up to thousands saved over your pool pump’s lifetime!
Why pool pumps are important
A pool pump is essential to the cleanliness of your pool, performing several water circulation duties. The pool pump’s primary goal is to circulate water through the filtration system. But it has other tasks, including powering spa jets, backwashing the filter, operating a chlorinator, providing water for the pool sweeper, circulating water through the heater, initiating flow to a solar panel and pumping water to waterfalls and other water features. These occasional tasks require extra energy on top of what they need for the circulation of pool water through the filtration system.
Single-speed vs variable-speed pool pumps
Most single-speed pool pumps consume an excessive amount of electricity. Why? Because they are typically oversized and overused when operating the pool. By design, single-speed pumps can’t change their flow rate so they are oversized to perform the most demanding task. These pumps traditionally have a 1- or 2-horsepower motor that will run at least five to six hours per day, if not around the clock, consuming energy.
A variable-speed pool pump, on the other hand, is able to program and reduce the flow rate to match the required pumping task. A single-speed pump will operate at maximum flow rate even for tasks that require minimum flow rates. In contrast, the variable speed pump can be slowed down to the optimal level. This balances flow rate needs with energy use. This means it can perform tasks just as well as the single-speed, but with significantly less energy usage, saving you money!
According to the Consortium for Energy Efficiency, approximately two-thirds of pool pump sales are estimated to be single speed pumps, with the main factor in the decision process for those buying a new pump being the upfront cost of the unit. Pool contractors often install single speed pumps because they aren’t aware of how more advanced equipment can save on energy costs in the long run. Sometimes, they don’t know how to install these less common but more efficient pool pumps.
The best way to save
Poolwerx has the pool pump options to save you money and knowledgeable technicians to install it for you. Not only that, but we are now offering interest free payment plans when you buy an energy efficient pump! What are you waiting for? Time to dive into year-round savings!